Date: Thu Aug  4 03:05:37 2005
From: edge at indiana.edu (Edge, Ronald D)
Subject: Cisco IOS Shellcode Presentation

>> Kohl's owns the Internet?
>> Kohl's reserves the right to read my email I send my mom just because
>> it's on the Internet?
>The legal precedent for this is essentially "He who onws the network,
>owns the data" (with respect to an employee/employeer relationship).
>It's a bit different for commercial ISPs.

>If your mom works at Kohls, don't email her there unless you want it
>read (unless you PGP/gnuPG it). Then again, they could just have
Spector
>installed on the PC to capture screenshots/keystrokes of her at her
>"company computer" (also completely legal).

>~Mike.

Because of legal issues for corporations, both private and public,
this is expanding even to phones. New policy here at IU effective
July 1 states that all staff using cell phones must buy their own
devices and service provider contracts. They will receive a flat
monthly supplemental stipend (I get $75.00/mo, I have a Blackberry
that communicates with a BES server as well as phone service) to
defray the costs of the use of their service for IU business.

It is general knowledge that one of the prime motivators for this
policy is to remove phone call content and logs from the various
laws that cover public information and its disclosure under open
access laws covering public institutions.

Same is rapidly being applied to email. Over the past few years
I have migrated 98% of my personal email, including all that has
anything to do with my business interests, consulting, etc. that
are not related to my primary employment, to my own email server
and accounts I run off site, in order to shield them from any and
all possible exposure/legal consequences.

Any business owns full rights over the email services they offer
their employees to do their job with. Bottom line.

Ron.

Ronald D. Edge
Director of Information Systems
Indiana University Intercollegiate Athletics
edge@...iana.edu (812)855-9010
http://iuhoosiers.com

"When nothing seems to help, I go and look at a stonecutter hammering
away
at his rock perhaps 100 times without as much as a crack showing in it.
Yet at the 101st blow, it will split in two, and I know it was not that
blow that did it, but all that had gone before."