Date: Thu Aug  4 16:23:31 2005
From: bkfsec at sdf.lonestar.org (bkfsec)
Subject: SixApart/LiveJournal's Denise Paolucci should
	resign.

Deep Lolz wrote:

>Denise Paolucci's chief responsibility at LiveJournal
>is to head their abuse department. Recently, she began
>abusing her powers and suspending the accounts of
>people merely because she didn't like material
>contained within their journals. This prompted a
>massive community backlash at her personal website <a
>href="http://denisepaolucci.com">denise paolucci dot
>com</a> and <a href="http://ljabuse.com">LJ Abuse dot
>com</a>, a website not officially sanctioned by
>LiveJournal but an after-hours messageboard for abuse
>team volunteers. In response, she moved her websites
>elsewhere and replaced them with a website that abuses
>javascript to open countless moving popup windows
>displaying extremely offensive images. Disturbingly,
>these websites use the clipboardData.getData function
>to grab the clipboard contents of Internet Explorer
>users. She is also somehow affiliated with the
>infamous trolling organization, the GNAA. She said in
>an IRC channel that she did this "because it was
>funny".
>
>Denise Paolucci's actions are unfitting of her
>position in such a large and prominent organization.
>She has repeatedly shown no regard for the privacy and
>freedoms of the users of LiveJournal. This is the type
>of childish -1 flamebait crap you'd expect from the
>twelve year olds at something awful, not of someone
>who manages the abuse department at a service that has
>2 million account holders. She should resign, and
>failing that, SA/LJ should fire her.

Not to mention the fact that there's a known abuse policy social
engineering exploit where reporting of copyright infringement will
always result in account suspension.

In further investigation, it turned out that suspension was far more
likely if something you said wasn't liked by Denise and other "lj abuse
department" (Which really means that they are there to abuse LJ) members.

I found that it's actually more of an exception that the person won't be
suspended or banned, but it's quite simple to get someone suspended
using the abuse team as a foil.

Frankly, the whole damn abuse team is incompetent and should be
fired/removed (depending on whether they work or are volunteers) and the
whole thing should be rethought.

                -bkfsec