Date: Wed Aug 10 23:14:13 2005
From: jasonc at science.org (Jason Coombs)
Subject: Re: Help put a stop to incompetent computer
	forensics

Thierry Zoller wrote:
> Or in better English :
> A computer trojan horse is a program which appears to be something good,
> but actually conceals something bad.

Interesting. What dictionary are you reading this definition from?

Whether or not the malware does other things as well, everyone I know
considers a Trojan to be a type of malware that allows an intruder to
gain entry to a system through the front door once the malware has
gained entry through some other means such as tricking the user into
installing it, forcing itself to install a la spyware, or exploiting one
of the many vulnerabilities in Internet Explorer that enable Web sites
to plant and execute arbitrary code.

If your proposed definition is the correct one, I'm willing to alter my
own understanding of this term. But you're going to have to offer some
proof that other people agree with you.

Somehow I suspect that Homer would disagree with you, and he is the
proper definitive authority on this subject. See the story of the fall
of Troy through the use of a Trojan Horse that enabled the whole Greek
army to gain entry through the front gates because of the actions of the
hidden package within the horse.

http://classics.mit.edu/Homer/iliad.html

Regards,

Jason Coombs