Date: Thu Aug 11 12:40:06 2005
From: nick at virus-l.demon.co.uk (Nick FitzGerald)
Subject: Re: Help put a stop to incompetent computer
	forensics

Jason Coombs to Donald J. Ankney:

> > Your definition is just a subset of the standard, broader one.

Indeed, that is the case.

Had Jason spent a few seconds looking into the real history of the use
of the word, its current "expert use" and its slippery, moving from
year to year, "common" usage he would have recognized his pathetic
attempts to justify his position for precisely what they are.

Apparently that is too much like hard work for this self-styled top
member of the computer forensics expert opinion witness industry
though, so the rest of us are apparently expected (by that uber-elite
class which Jason puts himself so high and mightily atop) to take
Jason's word for things just because ill-educated, lazy, common use has
changed, the experts should too...

> When a word causes widespread misunderstanding such that you simply
> can't use it to communicate ideas clearly, the old meaning becomes
> archaic.  ...

Utter twaddle.

It is now, and has been almost since there was a "computer antivirus
industry", the case that any-, and every-, thing "bad" that happens to
a computer is labelled as a "virus" by the great unwashed.

Fortunately, communication among computer professionals has largely
resisted adopting this sloppy usage, and "virus" still has a fairly
specific, fairly well and widely accepted technical meaning, at least
within the community of computer security professionals.

Such is also still the case with the word "Trojan", so if Jason is out
of touch with that meaning, what does that tell us about Jason's
reputed superior computer security expertise?  If it's sadly lacking on
an important terminological issue, what else has he missed out on?

The computer security meaning of "Trojan" as something along the lines
of "a bad program disguised or passed-off as something good, desirable
or at least harmless" is still the usage of intelligent, informed
computer security folk in my extensive experience.  Sure, within some
contexts some of those same folk will drop into a usage something more
like that of the vulgar, uneducated masses (many of whom use "Trojan"
and "virus" AND "hacker" totally interchangeably), but that is usually
obvious to other informed, intelligent and experienced professionals
from contextual (linguistic, situational, etc) cues.

> ...  I think that's what has happened with Trojan.  ...

No -- it has happened to very many commonly used comp-sec terms that
have been "overused" by too many of the less-well-informed in the media
and thence by the general public.  As I said above, it is now
widespread and common to find "ordinary folk" who use two or more of
"hacker", "Trojan" and "virus" _interchangeably_.  However, not only
does that mean we (comp-sec professionals) SHOULD NOT adopt such slack
usage, at least when communicating within our professional circles, it
means we should RESIST IT.  Taking what are, at the technical level of
our expertise, inherently and importantly different concepts for which
there are terms with well-established meanings and uses and smooshing
them all together simply because what we know and understand as
different concepts, and represent by those different words, is "too
arcane", or "too deep", or "too detailed", or "too technical", or
whatever, for the everyday communications of "the people in the street"
is the ultimate intellectual slackness.  It is not snobbish to remain
intellectually precise and to treasure meaningfully distinct conceptual
notions, though it can seem thus if one always insists on trying to
enforce those distinctions at a conversational level where they are
irrelevant or unimportant.

So, if you're talking to Joe and Jane Bloggs, use "trojan" in a loose,
slack, folksy way that they will "understand", but if you're going to
stick your head up in a mailing list like this and boldly, and clearly
very ignorantly given the last 20+ years usage of the term by this
constituency and its founders, state that black is white, expect to
have the top of your head knocked off and what has previously passed
for your intellect pecked to pieces...

> ...  Proof of this can
> be found in the list of malware that anti-Trojan software is designed to
> detect ...

That's a f*cking joke, right?

Give me a break, puhlease!

If this is an example of the kind of argument you make in those trials
you play "expert opinion witness" in, I must assume they are real laugh-
a-minute affairs to any real experts present...

> ... -- without double-checking this, just from memory, I'm going to
> say that the list of malware detected by the typical anti-Trojan
> software product is limited to malware that meets my definition and does
> not include the broader definition.  ...

Many (most, probably all now, and for quite some time) of these
products also detect some examples of many other pieces and types of
(static-binary and/or other "characteristically odd" detection, e.g. by
distinctive registry entry) malware, including many viruses.

So, perhaps on this basis we _should_ conflate "virus" and "Trojan"??

Hmmmmm...

> ...  That causes a real problem, in
> practice, since if the anti-Trojan doesn't stop spyware then how can
> spyware be a Trojan?

Had you considered it may be because your so-called "anti-Trojan" is
NOT actually anti-Trojan?

D'oh!

Grab a brain for a few moments and consider some MORE history you are
obviously lacking...

So-called "anti-Trojan" software was _initially_ developed to detect
what are more specifically known as "remote access Trojans" (or RATs,
sometimes also called "remote access trapdoors", "remote control
Trojans" and so on).  (The motivation for this was that RATs were
running rampant via chat network distribution, especially IRC, and
mainly were not being detected by AV, whose developers were largely not
interested in such malware at the time.)  The particular community that
used and developed most of this software adopted the use of the term
"Trojan" as a shortcut for "remote access Trojan" (and possibly because
it was largely ignorant of the much larger and broader history of "all
Trojanic software") simply because the main kinds of trojans they
happened to see, and thus were interested in, were RATs.

>From the most vaguely purist of positions, that was wrong and lazy,
and eventually calling themselves "anti-Trojan" to specifically
distinguish these products from anti_virus_ products was clearly a
marketing move.  With marketing generally being renowned for its abject
lack of care for precision and accuracy, I doubt any intellectual
discussion of the meaning of term is likely to be much interested, far
less swayed, by the opinions of mere marketeers...  In short, your
argument that the rest of us should adopt their (and apparently also
your) wrong and lazy usage of "Trojan" is symptomatic of why that usage
ever gained any currency in the first place...

(It's also somewhat of a circular argument to claim that the self-
servingly and incorrectly named "anti-Trojan" software only detects RAT-
like Trojans so therefore "Trojan" means "RAT", but that should be
obvious even to Jason by now...)

I put it to you "mister computer forensics expert opinion" that you are
not only doing the word a dis-service, but your own reputed expertise,
experience and relaevant (historical) knowledge of this whole sub-field
of computer security is now showing as more than slightly lacking...

I have close to 20 years "professional interest" in these matters and,
to a person, the very many educated and informed academic and industry
commentators I have seen and heard discuss this have never defined
"Trojan" as you claim it must now be used "because that is the 'common'
usage".  Perhaps that means you hang with too many "too common" folk
and would better hone your skills and understanding by moving in more
intellectually high-brow circles?

Whatever, just take a bit of a reality check on this one -- you are
clearly wrong given the weight (and vehemence) of reaction to your
posts, so stop the verbal m@...rbation and get on with something
useful, eh?

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald