Date: Wed Aug 17 23:23:51 2005
From: jasonc at science.org (Jason Coombs)
Subject: Re: It's not that simple...

Kurt Seifried wrote:
> Actually it really is that simple. Disabling Null sessions is entirely
> possible, quite easy, and doesn't break a lot (at least in my previous

Then why doesn't Microsoft provide these instructions in the workarounds
section of the vulnerability announcement? Are you certain, Kurt, that
the proposed registry hack is sufficient to prevent PnP null sessions?
Perhaps they branch differently in the Windows 2000 code base.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS05-039.mspx

Workarounds for Plug and Play Vulnerability - CAN-2005-1983:

Microsoft has tested the following workarounds. While these workarounds
will not correct the underlying vulnerability, they help block known
attack vectors. When a workaround reduces functionality, it is
identified in the following section.

Note Other protocols, such as Internetwork Packet Exchange (IPX) and
Sequenced Packet Exchange (SPX), could be vulnerable to this issue. If
you are using vulnerable protocols such as IPX and SPX, you should block
the appropriate ports for those protocols. For more information about
IPX and SPX, visit the following Microsoft Web site.

Note As mentioned in the ?Mitigating Factors? section, Windows XP
Service Pack 2 and Windows Server 2003 are vulnerable to this issue
primarily from locally logged on users. The following workarounds are
designed primarily for earlier operating system versions that are
vulnerable to anonymous network-based attacks.
?

Block TCP ports 139 and 445 at the firewall:

These ports are used to initiate a connection with the affected
protocol. Blocking them at the firewall, both inbound and outbound, will
help prevent systems that are behind that firewall from attempts to
exploit this vulnerability. We recommend that you block all unsolicited
inbound communication from the Internet to help prevent attacks that may
use other ports. For more information about ports, visit the following
Web site.
?

To help protect from network-based attempts to exploit this
vulnerability, use a personal firewall, such as the Internet Connection
Firewall, which is included with Windows XP Service Pack 1.

By default, the Internet Connection Firewall feature in Windows XP
Service Pack 1 helps protect your Internet connection by blocking
unsolicited incoming traffic. We recommend that you block all
unsolicited incoming communication from the Internet.

To enable the Internet Connection Firewall feature by using the Network
Setup Wizard, follow these steps:

1.

Click Start, and then click Control Panel.

2.

In the default Category View, click Network and Internet Connections,
and then click Setup or change your home or small office network. The
Internet Connection Firewall feature is enabled when you select a
configuration in the Network Setup Wizard that indicates that your
system is connected directly to the Internet.

To configure Internet Connection Firewall manually for a connection,
follow these steps:

1.

Click Start, and then click Control Panel.

2.

In the default Category View, click Networking and Internet Connections,
and then click Network Connections.

3.

Right-click the connection on which you want to enable Internet
Connection Firewall, and then click Properties.

4.

Click the Advanced tab.

5.

Click to select the Protect my computer or network by limiting or
preventing access to this computer from the Internet check box, and then
click OK.

Note If you want to enable certain programs and services to communicate
through the firewall, click Settings on the Advanced tab, and then
select the programs, the protocols, and the services that are required.
?

To help protect from network-based attempts to exploit this
vulnerability, enable advanced TCP/IP filtering on systems that support
this feature.

You can enable advanced TCP/IP filtering to block all unsolicited
inbound traffic. For more information about how to configure TCP/IP
filtering, see Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 309798.
?

To help protect from network-based attempts to exploit this
vulnerability, block the affected ports by using IPsec on the affected
systems.

Use Internet Protocol security (IPsec) to help protect network
communications. Detailed information about IPsec and about how to apply
filters is available in Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 313190 and
Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 813878.