Date: Thu Aug 18 17:07:32 2005
From: synfinatic at gmail.com (ADT)
Subject: Juniper Netscreen VPN Username Enumeration
	Vulnerability

Uh, wouldn't it just be a lot easier to sniff the traffic between the
client and VPN gateway and get the IKE user id that way?  Agressive
mode puts the IKE id in *clear text* in the first message.  I'm not
sure how this is any more "special".   I'll agree it's different, but
it doesn't change the basic problem with Agressive mode: the identity
is not protected.

Of course, the NetScreen's could reply with some kind of response, but
may lead to resource exhastion.  Quote[1]:

  In both modes, the responder MUST always supply the key exchange
  payload prior to any authentication of the initiating peer. Creation
  of the key exchange payload requires a costly calculation. This
  leaves the responder exposed to denial of service attacks. Although
  implementation notes have addressed this to some extent, this can
  still be seen as a security risk.

As for "offline hash breaking attempts", re-read RFC2409 and see how
easy it really is.  Hint: the use of nonces really make things
difficult.  Doesn't excuse people from using their cat as their
password, but effectively prevents rainbow table attacks.  Would be
attackers against NetScreen or any vendor for that matter are prolly
better off finding a disgruntled employee and buying their
username/password/securID token for $100 (or a bar of chocolate [2]).

Sorry, but I don't think there's anything new or interesting here,
other then to remind people that Aggressive Mode isn't as good as Main
Mode, but everyone should of already of known that.

Disclaimer: I used to work for NetScreen/Juniper (hi Eric/Brian who
are no doubt reading this thread :)

[1]: http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/00jul/I-D/ipsec-ike-base-mode-02.txt

[2]: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/05/28/password_advice/

-Aaron