Date: Fri Aug 19 20:41:30 2005
From: michealespinola at gmail.com (Micheal Espinola Jr)
Subject: Disney Down?

I agree that not all exploits need to or should be handled in such a
way, but this type of open-ended exploit where potentially anything
could have been dropped or altered on a system would force me as an
network/security/systems administrator to have to take appropriate
action to protect my employer.

Yep, it's defiantly extreme.  I wouldn't want to have to do it.  But,
I still would do it all the same.  In my experience the risk is just
too great not to.  Which is why we store data on secure servers, and
can multi-cast images for workstations for easy rebuilds.  Its a shame
not everyone can work in an environment where things like this can be
done that easily, but that doesn't mean that they shouldn't be done at
all.

I have yet to work work for an employer where my management and fellow
staff wouldn't be prepared to do the same - thank goodness.

I shudder to think about it happening to me...

On 8/19/05, Steve Kudlak <chromazine@...global.net> wrote:
> Micheal Espinola Jr wrote:
> Absolutely. Once a system has been exploited in such a manner, it
> is
completely untrustable. It should most definitely be wiped.

The IT ppl

On 8/19/05, Donald J. Ankney <dankney@...setfilms.com>
> wrote:

> Any IT department that simply removes a worm and shoves a box back
into
> production has serious issues.

After a machine has been compromised, it

--
ME2  <http://www.santeriasys.net/>