Date: Tue Aug 23 21:00:22 2005
From: madhat at unspecific.com (MadHat)
Subject: Zotob Worm Remover

On Aug 22, 2005, at 4:44 PM, Todd Towles wrote:
> James, I agree with you.
>
> It was n3td3v that stated the following -  "The wireless devices were
> most likely the primary source of the spread. Media outlets are
> reporting wireless devices were only an accessory to the spread of the
> worm."

I think he meant wireless is an easy initial attack vector to get
things into a corporate network.  It can be easier and more focused.
You can sit at starbucks or the airport and easily attack machines
that are open due to the fact that they are used to being behind
other protections.  Yes defense in depth is the best method, but
looking at reality instead of "a perfect world" type situation, it is
common for machines to not be patched in a timely manner.  In this
case the code was out there fairly quick after the patch was
released.  The easiest way to attack a protected network is through
portable devices.  Now you can scan DSL or dailup space for
vulnerable machines, or you can go take a flight from SJC and get
dozens in a short time.  And because  of the location, you have a
good idea that at least some of them will be working for large
companies that do work in the bay area...

I am not disagreeing that it is not _all_ about wireless, but people
do tend to open themselves up on wireless networks more than on
wired.  SBC now provides a DSL firewall/router that would protect
against this attack by default.  Some larger ISPs are blocking ports
from the Internet for DHCP or PPOE accounts, but you go to starbucks
and everyone is jumping on any open network.  Just go and fire up a
strong card with an AdHock network with the same SSID and assign them
an IP and you can compromise them, plant the worm, disconnect and you
are gone...  to them it is a blip in the wireless, and will just
shrug it off and go on about their business.

See shmoo for common rants on wireless.

> I agree with Jan, that host based IPS could have stopped this. Cisco's
> CSA is a good example of this type of technology. Host based IPS
> system
> are commonly seen as anti-rootkit solutions, which is also a very very
> good thing to have. But patch management should not be overlooked just
> because you have a host IPS. The host IPS will give you time to patch,
> but patch management is the last line of defense for vulns. I never
> said
> it should be the first or only line of defense.
>
> I am very firm believer in the defense in depth methodology.
>
> -Todd

MadHat (at) Unspecific.com, C?ISSP
E786 7B30 7534 DCC2 94D5  91DE E922 0B21 9DDC 3E98
gpg --keyserver wwwkeys.us.pgp.net --recv-keys 9DDC3E98