Date: Thu Aug 25 09:20:01 2005
From: Stuart.Carter at bbcel.co.uk (Stuart Carter)
Subject: talk.google.com

A good question, Dan, thank you.

Stuart Carter
IT Dept.
0131 311 5281
Mobile: 0709 204 5442
This message is confidential. If it is not for you, please inform us immediately and then delete it. The author (not the author's employer) is responsible for any opinions in the message.

>>> Dan Margolis <dmargoli+lists@....net> 25/08/2005 03:41:55 >>>
>While I'm at it, I wanted to take a stab at Stuart's comment, too.
>Because I hear more and more of this "Google Watch" nonsense, and I
>think a lot of it ought to be laid to rest. And my main complaint
>with all of it is, people who are worked up about this seem to ignore
>the fact that this is nothing new--how much do you trust your ISP,
>for instance? Why isn't there a AOL-Time-Warner-watch, when this
>conglomerate (until AOL gets spun off) controls the Internet access,
>the TV access, the movies, the magazines, the newspapers, even the
>published books accessed by so many people? With companies like AOL-
>Time-Warner, all your media can literally come from a single source.
>And people are worried about Google storing their e-mail!

My ISP has to comply with European data protection laws.
Google does not.

My ISP does not set "immortal cookies" on my PC.
Google does (... if I allow them, which I do not - Firefox cookie manager is nice!).

I do not use my ISPs email - I use privately hosted email (unlike this which is, obviously, my work email).

My ISP is not trying to build up an ever more complete picture of what I am interested in, so that they can sell me more advertising.

While my ISP has logs of what I do, again, they have to store and purge them in accordance with European data protection laws.

I should state that I am not one of the "Google watch" brigade - I do not feel the need to wear a tinfoil beanie, thankyouverymuch! - but I have concerns that Google, by becoming ever more useful, will actually become a huge threat to our privacy. I am, however, somewhat contrarian and very indivudalistic, so I do not buy into either the "the sun shines out of Google's.. servers!" or the "Google are EEEEVIL!" schools of thought.

I hope this clarifies my position?

Cheers,

Achieving the BBCEL Vision to be: -
'The Contractor Of Choice'

By demonstrating Values that InSpire:
Integrity - Safety - Passion - Innovation - Respect - Excellence

This email may contain information which is confidential and is intended only for use of the recipient/s named above.  If you are not an intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any copying, distribution, disclosure, reliance upon or other use of the contents of this email/fax is strictly prohibited.   If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender and destroy it.