Date: Sun Aug 28 18:23:16 2005
From: exibar at thelair.com (Exibar)
Subject: [inbox] RE: Example firewall script

Wasn't the original poster's question about FW rules and not ACL's?

 If you had ONLY "Allow ANY ANY", why bother having the firewall in place at
all?  You'll never be LESS secure from the nasties on the 'net than that...
well unless you're just running a base un-patche OS, etc...
 If you had only "Deny ANY ANY", nothing would get in or out through that
firewall, so why wouldn't that be the "most secure" rule?  Again, might as
well just unplug from the 'net completely, you'll never be more secure from
the nasties on the 'net than that.

  I kinda assumed that people would realize that these are not practical
rules to have in place without other rules backing them up.  I for one don't
believe you should EVER have an "Allow ANY ANY" rule, anywhere in your rule
list, "Deny ANY ANY" should be the last rule, IMHO.

  heheh, I never meant to be the catalyst for such a huge battle between
people....

  Exibar