Date: Sun Sep  4 06:34:47 2005
From: chromazine at sbcglobal.net (Steve Kudlak)
Subject: RE: Computer forensics to uncover
	illegal	internet use

dave kleiman wrote:

>Jason,
>
>You are definitely off here.
>

>"""Companies and their lawyers who fail to keep up with child pornography
>law do so at their peril. The bipartisan resolve of state and federal
>legislators to combat child pornography has led to laws that put the fate of
>those who innocently possess child porn -- such as counsel and their forensic
>experts -- largely at the mercy of prosecutorial discretion.
>Dealing administratively with employees who use company computers to view or
>download child pornography no longer suffices. In fact, company lawyers or
>managers risk serious criminal penalties if they merely terminate an
>offending employee and delete only visibly illicit images from his desktop
>computer.
>The law generally treats child porn like heroin: mere knowing possession of
>it is a crime. Possession on behalf of a client to assist in an
>investigation or  defense is no exception. As one court put it: "Child
>pornography is illegal contraband."""
>
>"""Criminal liability may also be triggered by knowing possession of a
>single child porn image. A limited statutory affirmative defense is
>available when a defendant possesses fewer than three such images, but only
>if the defendant: (1) does not retain any offending visual depiction; (2)
>does not allow any person other than a law enforcement agent to access the
>offending visual depiction; and (3) promptly takes reasonable steps to
>destroy each such visual depiction or reports the matter to a law
>enforcement agency and gives the agency access to each such visual
>depiction. """
>
>"""Notably, this statutory affirmative defense is not available if three or
>more images are found -- and usually where there is one such image, there are
>dozens or hundreds more. Thus, if a company finds multiple child porn images
>on an employee's computer, the affirmative defense evaporates, and handling
>or even destroying the images may expose the company to criminal
>liability."""
>
>I think you need to read the following:
>
>http://www.strozllc.com/publications.html
>

>October: Beryl Howell and Paul Luehr co-authored the article, "Child Porn
>Poses Risks to Companies That Discover it in the Workplace." It appeared in
>the October 4, 2004 issue of the New York Law Journal http
>"ChildPornPosesRisks.pdf"
>
>January 5: Eric Friedberg's article, "To Cache a Thief: How Litigants and
>Lawyers Tamper with Electronic Evidence and Why They Get Caught;" published
>in The American Lawyer magazine  "To Cache A Thief.pdf"
>
>http://www.ijclp.org/Cy_2004/ijclp_webdoc_6_Cy_2004.htm
>

>Characteristics of a Fictitious Child Victim: Turning a Sex Offender's
>Dreams Into His Worst Nightmare
>BY JAMES F. MCLAUGHLIN
>Reference: IJCLP Web-Doc 6-Cy-2004
>

>There are cited cases pertaining to this exact subject proving your comments
>and methodologies are wrong!!

> [...]
Hate to play alwyer here but doesn't all of this get shot down by 3rd
Circuit Federal Court of Appeals decisions regarding the FBI's  Innocent
Images project?  It basicly shot down the concept of  "you clicked on a
chold porn link therefore you're guilty."  This is all enshired in
Federal Cases. No one must admit that a good prosecutor can indioct a
ham sandwich and all that. But overall that doesn't happen. Now Federal
Prosecutors and Investigations staffs are very good at sort of getting
warrants and raiding someone's house or business and going thru
everything. But if the person doesn't scare and cop to something they
never did, then federal prosecutors generally have to back off in cases
where it is just things accumulating on disks etc. Futhermore in states
with a high privacy expectation like California there is a good reason
to say "We don't go through our customers data looking for things out of
the ordinary". One might argue it to be different it were one's
employees. However if you are offering a primo privacy service then you
can legitimately scrub disks as a part of the biz plan.

Much of Law Enforcement and theiir Public Providers of services depends
on scaring people and businesses into good behavior when it is neither
necessary or ethical. My suspicion is that one can ignore this tactic if
one wishes as one is reasonably careful.. I am sure that people will be
offereing  "Computer Forensics Services" to find the scary things on
your compnys disks for $500 a pop but no good reason one has to engage
in such silliness.

Excuse my flipness. I just got through friends caught up in this call
people stranded and alone by the hurricane in the SOuthland and all
these other things do ring silly right now.

Have Fun,
Sends Steve