Date: Tue Sep 13 18:48:47 2005
From: dufresne at winternet.com (Ron DuFresne)
Subject: Re: Full-Disclosure Digest, Vol 7, Issue 25

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005, Gary E. Miller wrote:

> Yo Eric!
>
> On Mon, 12 Sep 2005, fd@...nsci.us wrote:
>
> > What if I am otherhost?  Is there a facility for something like
> > [root@...erhost]# cat /dev/tcp/me/listen/5000 > yesterhost-hda.img
>
> I just spent some time with "man bash" and the bash source code and do
> not see how to do that.  I am sure they would take a patch.
>
> Maybe someone else has a bright idea on how to accept a tcp/udp
> connection with just bash, or some other universally installed
> unix binary.  A lot of systems do not have nc by default.

I beieve this can be done with the real version of korn shell, not the
lightened version that is named pksh though for nost linux dists.  But in
a discusion with a fellow admin here at work a few weeks ago it was shown
that the real korn shell can play tcp and udp very sweetly and simply in
scripts.  I have not the working example at hand here to demo for folks,
but, if needed can get it.  I'm sure the man page and or the o'reilly's
manula documents this.

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne
--
"Sometimes you get the blues because your baby leaves you. Sometimes you get'em
'cause she comes back." --B.B. King

OK, so you're a Ph.D.  Just don't touch anything.