Date: Tue Sep 13 05:05:28 2005
From: fd at ew.nsci.us (fd@...nsci.us)
Subject: Forensic help?

We generally categorize files with something like

find /mnt/repair | while read f; do
	F=`file $f | cut -f2- -d:`
	mkdir "/tmp/r/$F"
	ln -sv "$f" "/tmp/r/$F"
done

It will nicely sort your files into directories by file-type (ignore
errors).  Its not the best, but certainly a good start.  Also note that if
somewhere in /mnt/repair two files with the same type have the same name,
you will have a name collision.  Hopefully your preliminary restore
software gave unique names to the files.

Without additional knowledge of /what/ you are looking for, I'm not sure
what to suggest.  If the dentry system is indeed completely(!?) gone, then
I would give up on finding names and start looking for content.  If its
really important, the name can be changed ;)

-Eric

==
Eric Wheeler
Vice President
National Security Concepts, Inc.
PO Box 3567
Tualatin, OR 97062

http://www.nsci.us/
Voice: (503) 293-7656
Fax:   (503) 885-0770

At least then you end up with directories like