Date: Tue Sep 13 22:35:46 2005
From: juha-matti.laurio at netti.fi (Juha-Matti Laurio)
Subject: FireFox Host: Buffer Overflow is not just
	exploitable on FireFox

https://addons.mozilla.org/messages/307259.html).
>- Netscape: hope they'll respond to this email and release a workaround.
>- Wait for a patch and install it asap.
>Recommendations to make it harder to exploit any FireFox vulnerability:
>- Turn on DEP (Data Execution Prevention),
>- Turn off JavaScript,
>- Switch to another browser,
>- Do not browse untrusted sites,
>- Do not browse the web at all,
>- Unplug your machine from the web,
>- Wear a tinfoil hat.
>Cheers,
>SkyLined

BTW: From where is that security [at] netscape.org address?
1)
An official security URL to Netscape is "Netscape Browser Bug Submission
Form" at
http://browser.netscape.com/ns8/support/bugreport.jsp
(www.netscape.org redirects to home.netscape.com/ , of course they have
netscape.org, netscape.net etc.)

For version 7.2 (and 7.x?) it is the following:
http://wp.netscape.com/browsers/7/feedback/problem.html
Two separate addresses due to different developer teams, according to
my knowledge. Is there any new information?

I have informed the vendor Netscape being affected on 9th September 2005.

2)
Disabling IDN support via about:config (or prefs.js file) is possible in
Netscape Browser 8 too. Xpi file for Firefox and Mozilla Suite works in
Netscape 8.0.3.3 too. Test was successful and even UA was changed to
include ....Gecko/20050729 (No IDN) Netscape/8.0.3.3.
However, the manual method is recommended.
I.e. there is a workaround for Netscape. Vendor developer team contacted
during a weekend, no reply yet.

3)
When an updated version of Netscape Browser 8 is available the download
link is http://browser.netscape.com/ns8/download/default.jsp

- Juha-Matti