Date: Tue Sep 13 23:55:02 2005
From: nick at virus-l.demon.co.uk (Nick FitzGerald)
Subject: Exploiting a Worm

Ian Gizak wrote:

> I'm pentesting a client's network and I have found a Windows NT4 machine
> with ports 620 and 621 TCP ports open.
>
> When I netcat this port, it returns garbage binary strings. When I connect
> to port 113 (auth), it replies with random USERIDs.
>
> According to what I have found, this behaviour would mean the presence of
> the Agobot worm.

That is too limited a set of observations to draw that conclusion for
sure.  After all, the source of various variants of various forks of
most of the vaguely "popular" bots is available (which is largely why
those bots are "popular"), so could easily have been partially copied
in making a "new" bot (and we see a lot of evidence suggesting that
this happens often).  Likewise, some "key features" of any given
mainstream bot are equally likely to have been derived from other, pre-
existing "publicly" available code...

> A full TCP scan revealed the following result:
<<snip>>
> I have checked the open ports and no-one seems to be the worm ftp server or
> something useful related to the worm. Some ports allow input but don't reply
> anything...
>
> Does anyone knows a way to exploit this worm to get access to the system?

Well, that will depend on precisely what variant of what code you have
listening on those ports, and even on what compiler and options the
binary was built with AND the precise CPU architecture, OS and
configuration options the code is running on.

Of course, if you can get a sample of the binary off the machine, you
can reverse it and work out those answers for yourself, but I doubt
anyone here can divine them for you, from this distance...

I take it the VNC ports didn't prove useful?  VNC is often installed by
malware, with trivial ("qwerty", "1234", "admin", "root", etc, even
null) access passwords...

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald