Date: Wed Sep 14 12:45:13 2005
From: peer at baden-online.de (Peer Janssen)
Subject: Re: Full-Disclosure Digest, Vol 7, Issue 25

lonely wolf wrote:

> Peer Janssen wrote:

>>> This is interesting.
>>
>> Indeed :-)
>>
>>> Which version of bash are you using ? I havent found it in my man
>>> page!
>>
>> My guess is that it probably has nothing to do with bash but with the
>> devices your system provides.
>> But where is documentation for this kind of useful information anyway?
>
> it's in bash for a long time. however not all distributions compile
> bash with this option activated. debian for instance does not.

That's good to know, thank you.

My question was somewhat more about finding information about such
things, though. (Related: Will a bash compiled with that option
automatically include the doc for this feature?)

I never found information about the following recurrent question of mine
either:
If a plug in an USB storage device, it has a /dev/sg<...> assigned to
it. But which one? I need to know this mapping in order to mount it. I
always deduce this device's name from the syslog, which works but is a
bit of a PITA, so I always wondered if there is no other way to get this
info, namely something like lsusb. lsusb, which would be the logical
place to look for it, doesn't give away this info, at least not in an
easily recognizable form (e.g. I never figured it out). sg_scan and such
didn't do the trick for me either, although I might have missed
something here.

Peer