Date: Sun Sep 18 03:34:37 2005
From: aditya.deshmukh at online.gateway.strangled.net (Aditya Deshmukh)
Subject: PGPNet Upgrade path ?

gem@...lim.com Wrote :

> IPSEC has nothing to do with PGP.  Also there is really no such thing
> as a PGP key.  PGP uses what ever key scheme you ask it to use.  IPSEC
> is the same way.  Both use keys, but are not themselves key standards.
>
> OpenVPN similarly can use what ever key scheme you wish.  Since it is
> based on the OpenSSL crupto libs it is very flexible that way.  For
> simple setups you can use pre-shared keys.  For more complex setups
> you can use public/private key pairs of any type that OpenSSL
> understands.

This is the main problem - how do I get PGP key server keys in a format
Openssl understand ? And I have implemented CA and ipsec vpn using
freeSWAN.org + x.509 patch it works pretty nicely, but here in this
case the public/private KEYs are in a different format...

> IMHO, if OpenVPN does not do what you want then you misunderstand the
> problem.

The problem is very clear : how do I tranlate PGP keys to a format
X.509 / openssl can understand ? I havent a solution to this one yet.

m@...j.nl Wrote :

> >I know for ipsec VPNs I could use the winxp's builtin
> >But that would require moving all the PGP keys to
> >X.509 certs.
>
> Yes, absolutely. For OpenVPN you need to use X509 certs, you
> will have to rework your whole PKI. However:

I have already used openvpn and (free|open|whatever)swan, have
created openssl CA with batch files that run both on windows and
linux/freebsd/solaris at other sites....

All these programs are great in own right but I cannot connect the
Dots.

> So if you consider dropping PGP all together, have a look at OpenVPN.

This is the last option. If nothing is found then it is going to be openvpn

But meanwhile

I need a VPN that uses PGP keys for auth that are stored in PGP Key
Server, does not matter If it free or paid but if anyone know that
There is such a program please let me know....

Thank you in advance for the time taken to dig out the answers :)

Delivered using the Free Personal Edition of Mailtraq (www.mailtraq.com)