Date: Thu Sep 22 00:22:27 2005
From: yboily at gmail.com (Yvan Boily)
Subject: Google Secure Access or "How to have people
	download a trojan."

On 9/21/05, Paul Nickerson <pvnick@...il.com> wrote:

> Seriously, Yvan. You really don't know who it is you're talking to. That
> is Mr. Berand-Jan Wever, creater of all that is more 1337 than you. If you
> and him are debating about issues pertaining to hacking, more often than not
> he will be right.

  Considering the radical mis-representation of the Google policy,
advisories or not, I refuse to respect the opinion of someone who practices
such fine-grained 'clipping' of relevant information when raising an issue.
 Unless, of course, you expect me to start telling someone that everything
is a security hole just because Well-Known-Expert says it is an issue. It is
a simple philosophy; when you receive a piece of information that you would
like to use as a foundation, then verificy its authenticity, then verify its
accuracy. This is why I when I read a report about a vulnerability I will
verify the accuracy of the report it before I start advising people to react
to them.

 I have never ever heard of you. What's the last security advisory that YOU
> have come out with?

 None. Congrats. Woohoo. I guess you win, after all, since you have never
heard of me. That is a fantastically well-founded argument. I mean, really,
you must know *EVERYONE*. Honestly though, I respect that you have never
heard of me, but don't judge the posts by reputation, judge them by the
details in the post. Wever may have an interesting perspective, but it is
based on a limited interpretation of the policies he cited; I submit that
this limited interpretation is strongly supported by the fact that in many
instances where he cites material from the original, he cites only the
components that support his argument, and ignores the components which
damage it.

 I'm sorry, but before you can go calling someone as 1337 as Skylined an
> "Ass-Clown", you need to build up some credibility for yourself. Until then,
> good-day sir.

 Good-day to you. That is why this list has such an interesting character.
At least give me some credit for doing it with my real name instead of
hiding behind a pseudonym like many other critics who post to this list :)

 Not to mention as Microsoft becomes better at everything it does and
> becomes righteous, Google is turning into the new Microsoft.

 Whoa. I guess Microsoft is getting better at security management, and given
the horrors of running Microsoft products on the perimeter in the past,
well, one can say it is getting better. But still, whoa. Microsoft still has
a long way to go before the majority of the community will trust them, given
their history. That said, I think the security team over there is doing alot
of good work given the challenges they face.

 Google has become all monopolistic and shit. 75% of website referrals come
> from google. They are all cocky and think they can get away with everything,
> just like Microsoft used to be. Fight the power!!!!

 'Used to be', last time I checked Microsoft still behaves like they can get
away with anything, but they at least are projecting the impression that
they are changing. And yes, Google is becoming more monopolistic, and
behaving more like Microsoft. Microsoft, for all of its faults, is a very
successful business. Just like any other leader in their field, Google is
adopting many of the practices that will allow it to remain that way. At
least Google has (thus far) refrained from spamming me horribly with print
and email materials when I sign up for services, and they give away many
services that I enjoy [search, google earth,.. oh and email :)]

I don't blindly trust, but I certainly won't start jumping at shadows
because a company that delivers free services that invite serious potential
liabilities publish documents with the verbiage required to protect
themselves.