Date: Wed Sep 28 16:38:04 2005
From: Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu (Valdis.Kletnieks@...edu)
Subject: Suggestion for IDS

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 07:01:34 EDT, "J. Oquendo" said:

> While I do agree with the statement made "Quite frankly, anybody who
> already has a PIX installed and wants to install an IPS needs to quantify
> *exactly* what protection the PIX is failing to provide before they go
> shopping for anything" to a degree, I also disagree with that statement
> since it eludes to the thinking that solely a PIX will save your ass. It
> won't, nor will any other firewall, nor will any other product combined
> with any OTHER product and so on.

Obviously, the original poster isn't thinking that a PIX will save their ass,
because they're in the market for something in addition :)

They should be figuring out *why* they need more protection (quite frankly, for
many places, a *properly configured and maintained* PIX is quite sufficient),
and exactly what areas they want extra protection.  Amazingly enough, people
who will look at their current car and say "I need a new one, and it needs to
have X, Y, and Z, and maybe W if it adds less than $500 to the bottom-line price"
seem to be unable to do similar rational analysis when they go shopping for
security gear.