Date: Tue Oct  4 18:20:37 2005
From: yboily at gmail.com (Yvan Boily)
Subject: Re: SecureW2 TLS security problem

> >    ? The process ID of the current process requesting random data
> >    ? The thread ID of the current thread within the process requesting random
> data
> >    ? A 32bit tick count since the system boot
> >    ? The current local date and time
> >    ? The current system time of day information consisting of the boot time, c
> urrent time, time zone
> > plus many more sources.
> >
> > I wonder if anybody has quantified the amount of entropy that could
> > realistically be extracted from the mentioned sources.
>
> Umm.. "not much". ;)
>
> For instance, note that there's "32 bit tick count" and "current time".  Wandering
> over to Netcraft will give you the uptime - and how many times do they fold
> "current time" in there? Each additional one adds exactly zero entropy.  Similarly,
> you get 4.5 bits of entropy *MAX* from 'time zone' - and if you can guess where
> the box is down to the continent, you're down to 2-3 tops, and possibly exactly 0
> if you know the city....
>
> Similarly, if "process ID" and "thread ID" are sequentially allocated integers,
> there's probably only 3-4 bits of entropy in the process ID (since at each reboot,
> everything starts in the same order each time)

The default random number generator provided with Windows XP, 2003,
and Longhorn, is RtlGenRandom(PVOID,ULONG)
; this is an undocumented API that is called by
CryptGenRandom(HCRYPTPROV, DWORD, BYTE*).

It uses significantly better sources of entropy than clock information
and process & thread ids.

>From Michael Howards blog
----------------------------------
http://blogs.msdn.com/michael_howard/archive/2005/01/14/353379.aspx

There's a full explanation (including diagrams) in Writing Secure Code
2nd, so if you can lay your hand on a copy, take a look.

The RNG generates as specified in FIPS 186-2 appendix 3.1 with SHA-1
as the G function. With entropy from:

The current process ID (GetCurrentProcessID).

The current thread ID (GetCurrentThreadID).

The ticks since boot (GetTickCount).

The current time (GetLocalTime).

Various high-precision performance counters (QueryPerformanceCounter).

An MD4 hash of the user's environment block, which includes username,
computer name, and search path. MD4 is a hashing algorithm that
creates a 128-bit message digest from input data to verify data
integrity.

High-precision internal CPU counters, such as RDTSC, RDMSR, RDPMC

Low-level system information: Idle Process Time, Io Read Transfer
Count, I/O Write Transfer Count, I/O Other Transfer Count, I/O Read
Operation Count, I/O Write Operation Count, I/O Other Operation Count,
Available Pages, Committed Pages, Commit Limit, Peak Commitment, Page
Fault Count, Copy On Write Count, Transition Count, Cache Transition
Count, Demand Zero Count, Page Read Count, Page Read I/O Count, Cache
Read Count, Cache I/O Count, Dirty Pages Write Count, Dirty Write I/O
Count, Mapped Pages Write Count, Mapped Write I/O Count, Paged Pool
Pages, Non Paged Pool Pages, Paged Pool Allocated space, Paged Pool
Free space, Non Paged Pool Allocated space, Non Paged Pool Free space,
Free System page table entry, Resident System Code Page, Total System
Driver Pages, Total System Code Pages, Non Paged Pool Lookaside Hits,
Paged Pool Lookaside Hits, Available Paged Pool Pages, Resident System
Cache Page, Resident Paged Pool Page, Resident System Driver Page,
Cache manager Fast Read with No Wait, Cache manager Fast Read with
Wait, Cache manager Fast Read Resource Missed, Cache manager Fast Read
Not Possible, Cache manager Fast Memory Descriptor List Read with No
Wait, Cache manager Fast Memory Descriptor List Read with Wait, Cache
manager Fast Memory Descriptor List Read Resource Missed, Cache
manager Fast Memory Descriptor List Read Not Possible, Cache manager
Map Data with No Wait, Cache manager Map Data with Wait, Cache manager
Map Data with No Wait Miss, Cache manager Map Data Wait Miss, Cache
manager Pin-Mapped Data Count, Cache manager Pin-Read with No Wait,
Cache manager Pin Read with Wait, Cache manager Pin-Read with No Wait
Miss, Cache manager Pin-Read Wait Miss, Cache manager Copy-Read with
No Wait, Cache manager Copy-Read with Wait, Cache manager Copy-Read
with No Wait Miss, Cache manager Copy-Read with Wait Miss, Cache
manager Memory Descriptor List Read with No Wait, Cache manager Memory
Descriptor List Read with Wait, Cache manager Memory Descriptor List
Read with No Wait Miss, Cache manager Memory Descriptor List Read with
Wait Miss, Cache manager Read Ahead IOs, Cache manager Lazy-Write IOs,
Cache manager Lazy-Write Pages, Cache manager Data Flushes, Cache
manager Data Pages, Context Switches, First Level Translation buffer
Fills, Second Level Translation buffer Fills, and System Calls.

System exception information consisting of Alignment Fix up Count,
Exception Dispatch Count, Floating Emulation Count, and Byte Word
Emulation Count.

System lookaside information consisting of Current Depth, Maximum
Depth, Total Allocates, Allocate Misses, Total Frees, Free Misses,
Type, Tag, and Size.

System interrupt information consisting of context switches, deferred
procedure call count, deferred procedure call rate, time increment,
deferred procedure call bypass count, and asynchronous procedure call
bypass count.

System process information consisting of Next Entry Offset, Number Of
Threads, Create Time, User Time, Kernel Time, Image Name, Base
Priority, Unique Process ID, Inherited from Unique Process ID, Handle
Count, Session ID, Page Directory Base, Peak Virtual Size, Virtual
Size, Page Fault Count, Peak Working Set Size, Working Set Size, Quota
Peak Paged Pool Usage, Quota Paged Pool Usage, Quota Peak Non Paged
Pool Usage, Quota Non Paged Pool Usage, Page file Usage, Peak Page
file Usage, Private Page Count, Read Operation Count, Write Operation
Count, Other Operation Count, Read Transfer Count, Write Transfer
Count, and Other Transfer Count.