Date: Tue Oct  4 22:01:17 2005
From: gautam.bipin at gmail.com (Bipin Gautam)
Subject: Bypassing Personal Firewall, is it that* hard?

nothing much... i was just Tested stuffs on Zone Alarm Pro 6.0.667.000
i bunped into something intresting. A test program 'evil.exe' went to
a infinite recursive loop. No wounder, soon the system out of
memory..... but my BIG surprise vsmon.exe CRASHED ( testing on winxp
sp2, with Admin privilage) I manage to KILL the process of EVIL.exe &
system returned to normal functioning.... but FIREWALL DOWN!

huh!

-bipin

On 10/4/05, Debasis Mohanty <mail@...kingspirits.com> wrote:
> Hey AZ,
>
> Andrei Zlate-Podani wrote:
> >> A firewall has to do with network traffic. All this talk about "bypassing
> firewall x or y using this
> >> trick or that one" is sheer nonsense.
>
> I just noticed "@bitdefender.com" in your ID and I am sure you must be
> knowing better than me in all aspect as far as AV / Firewall goes.
> Unfortunately I have to exaplain you that ZA Pro and its siblings are much
> more than normal personal fw which even includes many of those
> functionalities which takes care of most of the local OS based attacks and
> even much more.
>
> >> It is not the job of a firewall to track all the relations of executables
> and/or API calls in the system.
>
> You are right as long as you are talking about old school days firewalls...
> ;-) I would like to suggest you give a shot to ZA Pro / Internet Security
> Suit once most of your doubts about current days fw will be clear :)
>
> >> I never heard anybody complaining that iptables allows a script execute
> Conqueror to communicate with a server.
>
> Is it ?? What a coincidence, Infact me too never heard :P
>

> >> Use an antivirus program or an IDS for this job.
>
> Nice suggestion !!! Which products are you going to suggest to the home pc
> users and corporate end-users??
>

> >> Andrei
>
> Bah ... D

------
Bipin Gautam

Zeroth law of security: The possibility of poking a system from lower
privilege is zero unless & until there is possibility of direct,
indirect or consequential communication between the two...