Date: Fri Oct 28 16:13:58 2005
From: shrdlu at deaddrop.org (Etaoin Shrdlu)
Subject: Brain dead SSH scans from Italy

Well, I'm stumped. I mean, really stumped.

I've had a host scanning my network for the past three days, and it
initially looked like one of the automated scans we've all become so
familiar with (unfortunately). Naturally, the automatic defense was
engaged, and I thought that would be the end of it. Nope.

It continues to send SYN packets, and although it's dropped off in attacks
to the other machines, it still pounds at the doors of two of them. Those
two machines have a couple of things in common: they are both running BIND
9, and are both OpenBSD {mumble}.

I've sent email off to the RIPE contacts for the IP (195.250.227.226), and
to the WHOIS contacts for the domain (ocem.com), and to abuse@...m.com as
well. Nothing. If I take off the null routing on either of those machines,
it immediately starts hammering at them, with no signs of cessation. I have
considered just letting it finish, but I'm more concerned that there's a
new variant on this moronic scan that doesn't know when to quit. I suspect
that the continuation is because they are DNS servers, since I took the
blocking off of one of the other machines also running OpenBSD, and the
scanning did not resume (although I had expected it to).

I'm at a loss. If anyone knows Italian (I don't), and can contact one of:

fabiom@....net
ennio.scheda@...m.com
lucamarino@...siopea.it

or anyone at ocem.com, please, let them know that the machine is
compromised, and that they need to take it off line, and clean it up.

TIA and all that.

--
There are two ways, my friend, that you can be rich in life.
One is to make a lot of money and the other is to have few needs.

William Sloane Coffin, "Letters to a Young Doubter"