Date: Fri Nov 11 16:10:13 2005
From: toddtowles at brookshires.com (Todd Towles)
Subject: the "Sony/BMG" virus

Barry wrote:
> Sony needs to pay big for this.  I'll never buy a Sony/BMG
> item again...
> no apology is enough.
>
> The way I see it, this is no different than a company
> orchestrating a mass breaking and entering on all of their
> customers.  This is like if Matag hid the Matag man* INSIDE
> the dish washer so that he could rummage through your home in
> the middle of the night.
>
> There is no excuse for what they've done... and there needs
> to be a very real public acknowledgment and discussion about
> what to do about the RIAA/MPAA -- let's face facts; what Sony
> has done is not an isolated case.  This is only the logical
> conclusion in a string of dam near or should be criminal
> actions either committed or proposed by the big media names
> of the world.
>
> They need to be reminded that the consumer base are not
> cattle to be used.  They exist to service us, not vice
> versa... and the base of corporate leadership which harbors
> the idea that we exist to supply them with money
> exclusively... the ethically challanged of our world if you
> will... must be purged from all positions of power, whatever the cost.
>
> This is only a symptom of a greater problem.

I agree with Barry 100%. If they are allow to contiune down this road,
then all companies will follow (not just record companies). They should
have never used kernel hooks, it is very clear they have no idea what a
rootkit is and they have no idea how dangerous it can be for the normal
user. Remind me why I should give them money again?

They treat us all like cattle, as Barry said.

Does this stop a person from getting the songs off BitTorrent? No
Does this stop a person from ripping the songs off of the CD? No, use
linux...noobs can even use a bootable Linux CD.

So who is this act really hurting? Normal CUSTOMERS that paid money to
buy a product they offer.

This outcome of this will hurt more than normal customers, it will hurt
companies that do everything they can to protect their employees and the
public from the danger. There was talk that the Sophos UnMasking Tool
may be against the DMCA. WTF?

Are you kidding me....forget the RIAA, buy Indie

-Todd