Date: Thu Nov 17 13:17:03 2005
From: james.mailing at gmail.com (James Eaton-Lee)
Subject: Database servers on XP and the curious flaw

On Wed, 2005-11-16 at 12:20 -0700, Dave King wrote:
> While it still may not be "millions of people" several products come
> bundled with the desktop edition of SQL Server 2000, and I'm sure many
> will come with SQL Server 2005 Express.  As far as I can tell by reading
> the paper (but not testing it myself) these are probably vulnerable as
> well if the configuration allows the guest account access to the database.

"Microsoft SQL Server 2000 - By default, Microsoft SQL Server 2000 is
not vulnerable. Like Oracle, SQL Server authenticates the client using
the NTLM SSPI AcceptSecurityContext() function and the user is logged on
as Guest, however, as SQL Server requires that a specific user be
granted access, the remote user can log in ? by default SQL Server
doesn?t allow Guest access to the database server. If, for whatever
reason, someone has granted either the Guest account or the built-in
Guests group access to the SQL Server then a remote user without valid
credentials will gain access."

I may be wrong, but I'd assume that the way in which SQLDE authenticates
is similar to MSSQL and therefore isn't affected by this... feel quite
free to correct me, because I don't claim to be an expert on the DE
version of SQL! :)

This of course wouldn't be the case for databases bundled with insecure
permissions (as vendors are apt to do), and that'd probably be what I'd
worry about most in these situations.

 - James.