Date: Tue Nov 22 12:28:33 2005
From: discojonny at gmail.com (Disco Jonny)
Subject: XCP2 v XCP - more than sony at fault?

Hi, I was just reading through the first 4 internet webshite, and i
noticed this: -

"In fact, XCP2 is not as strict as XCP, the company's original
product. Sony BMG and the other major labels have been using XCP since
2002 on prerelease CDs sent to radio stations and internal employees,
Gilliat-Smith says. XCP not only prevents copying, but in some cases
prevents discs from playing in certain devices, he says. Sony chose
XCP2, not XCP, for consumer CDs because discs with that encryption
play well in most devices."

I cannot seem to find any more information on XCP, who the other major
labels are....  I really dont fancy sifting through all the millions
of cds we get sent.

I am only saying this because one of our radio station PC's got hosed,
what are the chances that all those bloody 'sample' cd's have a
similar or the same back door. I really hope it is the fat dj
downloading goat pr0n. I dont have physical access to the place
though.  I am trying to get them to send the freshly formatted drive
to me for checking.

I have contacted First 4 Internet but as yet have received no response
(what a surprise).

If it is the case that these rootkits have been going to radio
stations, the press, etc since 2002 ... there could be some trouble (I
help out at a small independent radio station) cause im sure a lot of
the big American radio stations have a few pennies ... to sue with....

Does anyone have any idea about the original XCP software?

Cheers

Jonny of the Disco