Date: Wed Nov 23 10:33:17 2005
From: unknown.pentester at gmail.com (pagvac)
Subject: Hacking Boot camps!

In my opinion penetration testing is nothing more than legal cracking.
Breaking into computers doesn't make you a hacker.

I can teach my girlfriend how to run nessus over the Internet and use
the Metasploit web interface in  a few hours. In just one day I can
teach her how to successfully find vulnerable hosts on the internet
and how to break into them gaining root access.

This doesn't mean she will become a hacker, it just means that she
learned a few techniques that allow her to break into computers.

Sadly enough, even big corporations are vulnerable to these types of
attacks because you still see machines these days not being patched
regularly.

Anyways, from my experience in penetration testing the hacking kicks
in when it seems that there is nothing left you can try to break into
a system. That's the hard part, that's when creativity and "thinking
outside the box" kicks in.

For those that think that a magic paper or lesson will teach them
everything they need, they will always be doomed to not be able to
discover new things by themselves.

I agree with the previous posts: experiment! Don't expect people to
teach you. Try techniques you read about and try to come up with new
attacks on your own, without having to go to the next chapter in a
book.

So far, the people I've met that I consider true hackers are people
that try to come up with interesting ideas and experiment with them.
That's all it's about.

IMHO hacking is not for people that believe in theory.