Date: Thu Nov 24 09:49:54 2005
From: Patrick.Smith at centrica.co.uk (Scott, Patrick)
Subject: SmartCards programming...

Hi,

>From memory the goldcard uses a microchip pic device (16F84 I think) there
is also a small serial eeprom on board. You can pick up a full ide for the
controller  from www.microchip.com <http://www.microchip.com>  but be a bit
prepared to have to code down the assembler level if you want total control.
You can use this ide to compile the .hex file you require.

IMHO the goldcard is probably not the most ideal choice for this type of
project, the controller used on the card is lacking in some of the nice
hardware features of other cards, as already mentioned, if you look around
you can find other card types with hardware RSA and a full iso card io
implementation, with the goldcard you're pretty much looking at coding these
from scratch.

>From a security point of view the goldcard is less than ideal, the pic can
be programmed with a fuse to prevent code being read out - see the
datasheets on the above site, but I'm sure I've seen exploits for this
around the net. Also the onboard eeprom on the goldcards is a potential
weakness. In order to program the eeprom you will need to use a loader -
essentially a bit of code that runs on the cards processor and writes data
received by the card to the eeprom. In order to read the data back all the
attacker need do is reload a loader to the card and read the eeprom contents
back out, so if you're using the eeprom to hold keys etc, be a bit careful.

Goldcards have been the friend of the satelitte tv hacking crowd for a long
time, have a google around for the old seca hacks (start with secanix) for
some examples of source code used to emulate official paytv smart cards
which should give you some good pointers on how to implement a card io layer
and access the eeprom etc.

Cheers, Pat.