Date: Sat Nov 26 19:51:39 2005
From: j.schipper at math.uu.nl (Joachim Schipper)
Subject: IPsecurity theater

On Sat, Nov 26, 2005 at 07:35:34AM -0800, coderman wrote:
> On 11/26/05, Joachim Schipper <j.schipper@...h.uu.nl> wrote:
> > I fully agree. But if you only want to accept traffic from trusted,
> > authenticated sources, it's about as close to that as you can get.
>
> what i'd like a key daemon to do:
> - create or import a symmetric key database (hardware entropy++)
> - for encrypted key databases prompt for authentication
> - enter SA's according to key schedule associated with db
> - invalidate used keys and securely delete them from db
> you can assume that key distribution details are covered.
>
> what i don't what it ever doing:
> opening a public network socket and listening to unauthenticated
> traffic (ISAKMP).

No need to run a daemon for all that. Just use gnupg for the encryption,
setkey (linux/KAME), ipsecctl (OpenBSD), or whatever your OS of choice
uses to set up keys, and a couple of cron jobs to read the database and
invalidate old keys.

Not quite as trivial as the above makes it out to be, of course, and all
hell will break loose if you ever have a big clock skew, but outside of
that, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

		Joachim