Date: Thu Dec  1 17:57:41 2005
From: Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu (Valdis.Kletnieks@...edu)
Subject: Most common keystroke loggers?

On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 10:24:50 MST, Shannon Johnston said:
> I'm looking for input on what you all believe the most common keystroke
> loggers are. I've been challenged to write an authentication method (for
> a web site) that can be secure while using a compromised system.

Forget it.  You can't do it without going to two-factor authentication,
*and* make sure that the second factor is *not* subvertible by the
compromised system (for instance, even a SecureID won't totally work,
because the keystroke logger can snarf what the user entered, use that
to formulate a bogus request, and then issue the user's actual request,
which should get rejected as a replay attack).  Using crypto all the
way from the web server to a smart-card (so all the compromised system
can see is encrypted data it can't get the key for) can help yere.