Date: Fri Dec  2 21:24:11 2005
From: gboyce at badbelly.com (gboyce)
Subject: Most common keystroke loggers?

Shannon,

A compromised system and a social engineering attack to get important
credential information are two very distinct problems, and will be solved
in very different ways.

For the social engineering attack, some of the methods I've seen so far in
this thread (One Time Pads, two factor auth, etc) can be very useful.  I'm
sure they all have their limitations, but I'm hardly an expert, so I'll
let the experts hash this one out.

With the compromised system on the other hand, its pretty much game over.
No matter what method you try to use to obscure the data, the person who
compromised the system can get at it.  The only way you're even remotely
safe is if you use a completely obscure system, and you're a small enough
target that no one puts the effort into working around your "security".
Hardly something you can count on though.

Perhaps it would be a better method to try to instead verify if a system
has been compromised, and disallow the system to use your application if
the system is known to be compromised.

I'm not sure if anyone has spent any time researching the feasibility of
third party verification of client systems.  Some form of required
virus/spyware scanning before allowing a client to use a service.  Of
course, this may severely limit what operating systems are able to connect
to the service.