Date: Tue Dec  6 17:05:45 2005
From: pwicks at oxygen.com (J. Patterson Wicks)
Subject: IT security professionals in demand in 2006

What does being able to write code have to do with physically securing a
data center?  What does being able to write code have to do planning for
disaster recovery?  There is more to IT security than exploits and
viruses.  Business (both big and small) need professionals to interface
with the different divisions within an organization.  I don't know a lot
of security professionals that can explain the mechanism used by a virus
to circumvent AV software detection.  I also don't know a lot of coders
who can explain to the legal department the SOX standards for email and
IM retention.  Most of my "security professional" peers operate at the
mid-to-upper management level and must provide a secured environment to
many sites throughout the country.  Although some of my peers were
originally coders, only a fraction of their time now involves coding, if
at all.

"Security professionals" fill a lot of different roles for a lot of
different organizations.  Just like there are generalists when it comes
to the medical profession, there are generalist in the security
profession who use automated tools.  If the security professional
detects strange code during his/her automated scan, they would then
consult with a security professional with a strong coding background to
fix any problem that might be occurring.  Just as a general practitioner
consults with an oncologist if he thinks that his patient has cancer.

As the previous poster stated, the business must hire the right person
for the job.  If the business has an in-house "security professional",
the business must make sure that the person has enough integrity to
"know when he/she does not know enough", and that he/she will consult
with specialized security personnel as needed.