Date: Thu Dec  8 19:40:59 2005
From: lyal.collins at key2it.com.au (Lyal Collins)
Subject: Most common keystroke loggers?

There are 3 obvious problems with this I think, although there are some good
ideas embedded in this model.
Firstly, the user ID isn't used anywhere, although its captured.
Second, this is still subject to a mitm attack.
Thirdly, any message or session data is not protected as coming from the
same site to/from user, compromised workstation or keypad. Indeed, a
compromised machine may simply 'route' an attacker's data to appear to
originate from the machine that commenced the session.

The latter problem implies, to me at least, that the keypad must become the
user's communication end-point for sensitive transactions i.e. display,
comms stack, security stack, tamper-resistant, effective and functional data
entry mechanisms etc.

A simple keypad on its own isn't worth the money it costs to put them out
there imho.

Lyal