Date: Fri Dec 16 00:13:31 2005
From: jlongs2 at uic.edu (James Longstreet)
Subject: Symlink attack techniques

On Dec 15, 2005, at 7:09 AM, Werner Schalk wrote:

> Ok I should have been more precise in my previous mail. In this
> scenario I
> don't have control over the output generated by the find command. So
> basically the cronjob is something like:
>
> 15 4  * * 6  root  /usr/bin/find /home/userA -type f -print > /tmp/
> report.txt
>
> Consequently as userB I have no way of influencing what information
> is printed
> by the find command to /tmp/report.txt but I can surely
> control /tmp/report.txt. Any other ideas of how to exploit this to
> gain root
> access?

Since it doesn't seem like you can control what gets written to the
file, you probably can't directly get root access from there.  The
output could have some ill effect if written to the correct file...
hard to know without knowing what the output is.

Of course, as was already suggested, you can be malicious and
destructive and destroy /etc/passwd (or any other file on the
system), but I don't see right away how to gain root from that.