Date: Mon Dec 19 05:20:50 2005
From: jpole at jcpa.com (Jamie C. Pole)
Subject: [Clips] A small editorial about recent events.
	(fwd)

I'm not at all scared.

As far as the rest of your point, I actually agree with you.  I see
no reason why the government needs to know which books you are
reading, and I don't believe the government should know how long you
are talking to your "psychic-phone-sex" operator in London (I would
suggest that you look for one in the USA, though - the transatlantic
phone calls can get expensive).

On the other hand, if you are talking to a known or suspected
terrorist, or if you are a known or suspected terrorist, I believe it
is absolutely the government's responsibility to know what is going
on.  I know that there is a very specific provision that allows
access to this information legally, but we do not know the
circumstances that prompted the extralegal wiretaps.  There may have
been a very good reason why these particular circumstances were
handled this way.

A blanket condemnation without all of the facts is just as wrong as a
blanket justification without all of the facts.

Jamie