Date: Mon Dec 19 03:30:44 2005
From: Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu (Valdis.Kletnieks@...edu)
Subject: [Clips] A small editorial about recent events.
	(fwd)

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 03:07:29 GMT, senator.crabgrass@...cast.net said:
> This is very nice, but obviously you were not standing in the dust of the WTC
> Sept 11.  I don't care if we NUKE them, let alone hurting a few feelings state
> side.

If we give up our liberties so we can be defended from terrorists, then the
terrorists will already have won.

> You are from Missouri so Show me the proof that any citizens' rights were
> violated other than the liberal press stirring the soup again, or please keep
> your political paranoia to yourself.

You obviously missed this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/18/politics/18bush.html?ei=5094&en=5b0fa310edb6186f&hp=&ex=1134882000&partner=homepage&pagewanted=print

WASHINGTON, Dec. 17 - President Bush acknowledged on Saturday that he
had ordered the National Security Agency to conduct an electronic
eavesdropping program in the United States without first obtaining
warrants, and said he would continue the highly classified program
because it was "a vital tool in our war against the terrorists."

or this:

http://www.capitolhillblue.com/artman/publish/article_7779.shtml

Bush on the Constitution: 'It's just a goddamned piece of paper'
By DOUG THOMPSON
Dec 9, 2005, 07:53

Last month, Republican Congressional leaders filed into the Oval
Office to meet with President George W. Bush and talk about renewing
the controversial USA Patriot Act.

Several provisions of the act, passed in the shell shocked period
immediately following the 9/11 terrorist attacks, caused enough anger
that liberal groups like the American Civil Liberties Union had joined
forces with prominent conservatives like Phyllis Schlafly and Bob Barr
to oppose renewal.

GOP leaders told Bush that his hardcore push to renew the more onerous
provisions of the act could further alienate conservatives still mad
at the President from his botched attempt to nominate White House
Counsel Harriet Miers to the Supreme Court.

"I don't give a goddamn," Bush retorted. "I'm the President and the
Commander-in-Chief. Do it my way."

"Mr. President," one aide in the meeting said. "There is a valid case
that the provisions in this law undermine the Constitution."

"Stop throwing the Constitution in my face," Bush screamed back. "It's
just a goddamned piece of paper!"
---

But no, other than that, there's no indication that the government has
any intention of violating anybody's civil rights.