Date: Mon Dec 26 17:59:40 2005
From: blsonne at rogers.com (Byron Sonne)
Subject: Spy Agency Mined Vast Data Trove

> just willing to hear your views on what are the rules to check/tackle
> such issues in other foreign countries???

Well, one of the tricks these bastards play with Echelon is how they get
around the typical illegality of spying on people in their own country.
For instance, I'm from Canada, and our spy agencies are not allowed to
spy on people inside our own country (technically). It's much the same
in the USA, probably worse, as we're both pissing away our privacy.

So anyways, what they do is agree to help each other out by spying on
each other's citizens, then sharing the information. So, the UK will spy
on Australian and American citizens, Canada will spy on US and US on
Canadian citizens, Australia on UK and such, etc. That way they're not
breaking the letter of the law. Twisted, huh?

Perhaps your country has similar agreements with neighbouring countries.