Date: Mon Dec 26 15:04:24 2005
From: gautam.bipin at gmail.com (Bipin Gautam)
Subject: Spy Agency Mined Vast Data Trove

hello list;

story: http://www.securityfocus.com/brief/85
----[snip]-----
At issue are the broad, sweeping powers the NSA now have to eavesdrop
on Americans without their knowledge. Commentary from Ars technical
speculates on the technology behind the massive eavesdropping. Bruce
Schneier has a long commentary on historical abuses as well as the
NSA's use of Echelon, a massive initiative that monitors voice, fax,
and data communications and is used for data mining of perhaps 3
billion communications per day.
----[/snip]-----

My concern is... (I'm from Nepal) not all ISP in my region go through
the Nepal's Internet exchange point. so even the local traffic might
have routed through USA if our ISP'z backbone providr is in USA. I
don't have very good idea about ledal stuff but my basic assumption is
BUYING SERVICE FROM A DIFFERENT COUNTRY DOESN'T MEAN WE ARE
NECESSARILY SUBJECTED TO THEIR LOCAL RULES. (though depends on country
foreign policy)

Have our network traffic been spyed/sniffed too without our knowledge?
Don't we have right of protection in the law to check such thing if
any???

just willing to hear your views on what are the rules to check/tackle
such issues in other foreign countries???

regards,
-bipint

--

Bipin Gautam

Zeroth law of security: The possibility of poking a system from lower
privilege is zero unless & until there is possibility of direct,
indirect or consequential communication between the two...