Date: Wed Dec 28 18:25:32 2005
From: daniels at Ponderosatel.com (Daniel Sichel)
Subject: Security Appliances -Fortigate

If you are looking for HA, good proxies, and an appliance unit that runs
rock solid (if kind of loud) I strongly suggest you try a Sidewinder
from Secure Computing.  They use Intel adapters and you can get units
with multiple adapters (we currently use 2 quad port cards in each of
our units). Their proxies for web and email are fast and VERY secure. We
have about 90 users (which I know is not many) that frequently browse,
several use streaming audio video for training and just listening to the
radio, and you literally would not know the proxy is there. Anyway since
you were concerned about chipsets (I don't blame you), Sidewinder may
give you some options. I must say though, my experience with Realtek has
been good in the  laptop I use for sniffing. It allows vlan tagging to
be seen or ignored and it has a bonzer promiscuous mode, better than any
other I have used to date.

Dan Sichel

Senior fat bald guy

Ponderosa Telephone