Date: Sat Dec 31 22:18:38 2005
From: chromazine at sbcglobal.net (Steve Kudlak)
Subject: complaints about the governemnt spying!

Totally Offtopic a quote from Catholic School was "The Growth of
Christianity was watered with the blood of Martyrs" yep that is what the
old Irish Nun told us. SO it is not just an Ayatollah who said it. But
anyway it would be nice if we could drift back to more technical
discusssions. I was hoping the spying thing would eventually get down to
measures and countermesaures and how one protects oneself as not all
espionage is not always by a government who at least thinks it is out of
the general good. Yeah I worked for various powers that be never in
anything real exciting, but anywaty generally that is what we thought. I
am less worried about the NSA than private detectives and others like
that. A friend once ended up being a part of a mistaken identity problem
with some bounty hunters and they made her life quite miserable for
awhile and it her a longtime to get remuneration from them for the
damage they did to her property during their "friendly little error".
Also if one works in a medium sizedf firm there is industrial espionage
and admittedly most of that like the bounty hunters and the like do
things via "social engineering" like dating the executive secretary or
chatting up someone, there still was, and probably still is a moderate
amount of electronic stuff going on. In the case of my friend they
exploited the fact that most portable phones leak and that was the
problem, the people listening could not tell which portable phone they
were listening to or so they claimed.

So I am hoping a more serious discussion would eventually start. I kind
of burn out on the "well my instructor back in 198x or 1999 said thhis
was old hat" and even more outright rumours that sound like people who
get their information from Hollywood movies that no real encryptionb
systems exist becaus they are all compromised etc. etc. etc.

Have Fun,
Sends Steve