Date: Tue Jan  3 17:38:57 2006
From: markoer at markoer.org (Marco Ermini)
Subject: Antitoxin for "SQL Injection" (?)

On 1/3/06, Jan Muenther <jan.muenther@...ns.com> wrote:
[...]
> As a general rule - if you find yourself concatenating strings
> containing user input to create your SQL query, you're doing something
> substantially wrong.
> I'd still advise you to filter input generically using a whitelist
> (blacklisting is fairly dangerous with databases, see e.g. the
> CHAR(0xXX) thingy), and also to use stored procedures, simply since it's
> best practice and may help to prevent clusterf**cks deriving from
> combinations of smaller issues.
>
> Hope that helps,
> Cheers, j.
[...]

Agreed, I would also like to suggest to use database views whenever
possible. Creating read only views (these are generally read only
already) for each tabular data which has to be displayed on a web site
is generally a good practice - depending on the environment you are
on, it is also generally faster because it accomodates better when
used in combination with EJBs or other sort of
caching/Model-View-Controller mechanisms.

Cheers
--
Marco Ermini
Dubium sapientiae initium. (Descartes)