Date: Fri Jan 13 20:37:28 2006
From: nfobro at gmail.com (eric williams)
Subject: Steve Gibson smokes crack?

On 1/13/06, Jason Coombs <jasonc@...ence.org> wrote:
> Stan Bubrouski wrote:
> > Ordinarily I'd argue, but its hard to when we find out Microsoft knew
> > about the bug for a long time and made a concious decision not to
> > patch it even though they knew it could lead to a system compromise.
>
> It's hard to imagine anything other than conscious and willful
> preservation of known backdoors in Windows as an explanation for
> Microsoft's refusal to enable Windows Firewall by default until XP SP2.

While I agree with that fundamentally, there is one more point to
stress and that is with the architecture of the GDI and the meta-data
processor design.  It seems to me that is where the 'flaw' was
introduced.  That design flaw (allowing the content originator to
detemine what processing would take place when a render operation was
aborted) is what led down this path.  Those decisions, imho, were made
well before Windows 9x even, so I think there may be some merit to
saying it "was known".  I don't know tho' it "was known" means "was
known to be exploitable", per se.

-e