Date: Thu Jan 19 16:01:11 2006
From: stan.bubrouski at gmail.com (Stan Bubrouski)
Subject: Re: PC Firewall Choices

As cruel as that last message was I'm sick of the ZA pros here saying
its perfect, its not, far from it.  But I forgot to mention it beats
Symantec's firewall hands down.

Symantec Personal Firewall I've found from many different versions the
same horrible inconsistencies in my experience installing it for a
family member.  For example:

1) In the 2004 iteration of NPF it would simply stop working at times.
 Basically it would just completely stop working and would prevent the
lauch of even trusted applications.  The only solution was to reset
and pray it didn't happen again soon.
2) Even though Opera was fully conifgured in the rules (tried manually
and automatic scan option), it would only launch half the time.  NPF
would block it from launching despite its own rules.  It did this
selectively with different applications.  Sometimes it was just Opera,
other times IE or Firefox would not open either.  Killing the firewall
service would make this go away.

The above alone was enough to drive you nuts.  NPF acted the above way
after several reinstalls and even the formatting of the drive and
reinstallation of Windows had no affect on its buggy ways.  2005
edition was no better.  The 1st problem mentioned above didn't seem to
happen with 2005, but the second problem continued unabated.  It's
like NPF would just decide on its own it didn't like a particular app
or rule.  It is relatively easy to configure, though finding exactly
what you're looking for in the settings can be a pain at times.

Best Regards,
sb