Date: Tue Jan 31 00:25:22 2006
From: jeremy at linuxwiz.net (Gaddis, Jeremy L.)
Subject: Microsoft Volume Licensing infringement?

Randall M wrote:
> Anyone on here get an email from MS volume licensing services stating
> that all XP office and 2003 professional needs updated to remove the 3rd
> party

 From https://partner.microsoft.com/US/licensing/40025957 (may require
login to Microsoft Partner site):

-----
There is a misperception that Volume Licensing agreements cover the full
Windows desktop operating system. The upgrade license does not provide a
full, or initial, license for the Windows operating system. The Windows
XP Professional desktop upgrade license is for upgrade purposes only.
There are no changes to the terms of the Volume Licensing agreement, nor
the Windows XP Professional upgrade license product use rights.

To provide clarity around the Windows desktop upgrade license and help
customers avoid inadvertent non-compliance, Microsoft will be removing
the full Windows operating system software bits from the Volume
Licensing Welcome and Comprehensive Kit CDs beginning in January, 2006.
Customers will receive CDs that include upgrade bits per their rights
under the Volume License agreements. The full software bits will remain
available to Volume Licensing customers through a secure online site
(Microsoft Volume Licensing Services website) or by ordering a CD, but
customers must have a qualifying operating system installed on their PCs
in order to obtain the Windows Upgrade license.

We understand this is an extra step for customers but we hope that the
reduced risk of noncompliance gives them the peace of mind knowing that
their company is properly licensed. This is a great opportunity for you
to communicate the benefits of being properly licensed to your customers
and ensure that they have the information they need regarding licensing.

Download this customer email to help communicate this important change
to your customers.
-----

The "customer email" is attached.

-j

--
Jeremy L. Gaddis, GCWN, Linux+, Network+
LinuxWiz Consulting