Date: Fri Feb  3 19:11:18 2006
From: davek_throwaway at hotmail.com (Dave Korn)
Subject: Re: Re: ZoneAlarm phones home

Ivan . wrote:

>> observed 'spyware phoning home' but who are then completely unable
>> to give any details about the contents or destination of the packets
> read the article again Dave, you'll find that he did provide the ip
> address of the destination servers to Zonelaram

  There is NO ip address listed in Cringely's article whatsoever.

  The URL of the article (see post at the top of this thread) is
http://www.infoworld.com/article/06/01/13/73792_03OPcringley_1.html

  The single paragraph he wrote about ZA contains this text:

" A Perfect Spy? It seems that ZoneAlarm Security Suite has been phoning
home, even when told not to. Last fall, InfoWorld Senior Contributing Editor
James Borck discovered ZA 6.0 was surreptitiously sending encrypted data
back to four different servers, despite disabling all of the suite's
communications options. Zone Labs denied the flaw for nearly two months,
then eventually chalked it up to a "bug" in the software -- even though
instructions to contact the servers were set out in the program's XML code.
A company spokesmodel says a fix for the flaw will be coming soon and
worried users can get around the bug by modifying their Host file settings.
However, there's no truth to the rumor that the NSA used ZoneAlarm to spy on
U.S. citizens. "

  Now, show me which bit of that is an IP address, or admit you are
bullshitting.

    cheers,
      DaveK