Date: Sat Feb  4 09:22:03 2006
From: fyodor at insecure.org (Fyodor)
Subject: NSA tracking open source security tools

Of the recent U.S. political scandals, one of the most divisive is the
issue of President Bush (IMHO illegally) authorizing the NSA to
conduct warantless wiretaps on Americans' phone calls and emails.
While I don't like the NSA tracking my phone calls, they are welcome
to track Nmap release status.  And apparently they are doing so :).
The latest (February 6) issue of Newsweek has a picture on page 39 of
George Bush visiting the NSA headquarters in Fort Meade.  A wall-sized
screen in the background displays the latest versions of our favorite
open source security tools, including Nmap, Metasploit, Snort,
Ethereal, Cain & Abel, and Kismet.  Nifty.  For those
without the magazine, I have posted a pic at:

http://www.insecure.org/nmap/nmap_inthenews.html#bush

Maybe open source software really will take over the world :).

Cheers,
Fyodor

PS: For those who missed the announcement, Nmap 4.0 is now available:
http://www.insecure.org/stf/Nmap-4.00-Release.html