Date: Thu Feb 16 16:20:05 2006
From: Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu (Valdis.Kletnieks@...edu)
Subject: First WMF mass mailer ItW (phishing Trojan)

On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 15:03:56 GMT, Vulnerability Management said:
> How can this be called a worm? AFAIK, malware that needs human
> intervention to spread is a trojan, not a worm.

Enough users will just click 'OK' that it can effectively be considered
automatic enough to be classified a worm, not a trojan.

I mean - let's be realistic here. A worm that only manages 20% of the time to
turn off the A/V via pre-programmed means so it can continue propagating is
still clearly a worm (albiet a buggy one).  The mere fact that some worms use a
pre-programmed means to bypass the A/V that includes liveware muscular
activity(*) shouldn't eliminate its claim to wormhood....

(*) And yes, "just click OK" *is* sufficiently pre-programmed as to qualify as
automatic.  That's the *PROBLEM*... ;)