Date: Fri Feb 17 15:12:26 2006
From: simon at snosoft.com (Simon Smith)
Subject: Orwell's country wants Big Brother backdoor
	in	Vista cipher!

Yet another premature reliance on an unproved technology.

This chip is yet another premature reliance on an unproved technology.
This chip will not protect computer users, or their respective data.
This chip will cause problems for legitimate users and potentially
protect black hats.

Examples

   1. Forensic research: This chip will cause harm to any company who's
      primary service offering is forensic research (Encase).
   2. If my motherboard fails, how the hell am I going to replace it if
      my damn hard-disk is encrypted and I can't get at the key (all of IT)?

Hinder legitimate research?
"The system is aimed at preventing tampering with computers but it would
also help prevent people from downloading unlicensed films or media."

Forensic research moot or just hindered?
"An unfortunate side effect from law enforcement is it would be
technically fairly seriously difficult to dig encrypted material out of
the system if it has been set up competently."

nuff said

-simon